Geek with Style a Toronto lifestyle blog for geeks, celebrating the unique and quirky interests of the city’s inhabitants since 2006. Whether it’s classical art, geeky fashion trends, or comic book conventions, Geek with Style has been there to document it all. Join us as we explore the world of Toronto’s geek culture and uncover some of its hidden gems.
Fun Facts about Toronto
- The first Subway restaurant in Canada opened in Toronto in 1954.
- The Toronto Zoo is the largest zoo in Canada and one of the largest in the world.
- Toronto is home to the world’s tallest free-standing structure, the CN Tower.
- The city has over 8,000 hectares of parkland, making it one of the greenest cities in North America.
- There are more than 2,700 restaurants in Toronto, representing cuisines from all over the world.
- Toronto is home to Canada’s oldest Chinatown and Little Italy neighbourhood.
- The city has a rich arts and culture scene, with over 80 museums and galleries.
- Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, with over half of its residents born outside of Canada.
- The Distillery District is the largest collection of Victorian industrial architecture in North America
The Best Geeky Instagram Accounts
There are a ton of great geeky Instagram accounts out there, but these are some of our favourites.
Geeky_Posters : This account is all about cool, geeky posters. They’ve got everything from Doctor Who to Game of Thrones to Star Wars.
Geeky_Knitting : For the knitting geeks out there. This account features some really creative and intricate designs.
Geeky_Tattoos : Show off your geeky pride with some awesome geeky tattoos. This account features some amazing designs.
Geeky_Nails : For the geeks who love nail art. This account features some really creative and stylish designs.
Toronto’s Best Geeky Spots
There’s no shortage of things to do in Toronto, especially if you’re a geek. Check out some of the best spots in the city for geeks below.
- The Toronto Reference Library is a great spot for geeks of all kinds. With its extensive collection of books, magazines, and other resources, it’s perfect for research or just browsing.
- The Royal Ontario Museum is another great option for geeks who love learning. With exhibits on natural history, world cultures, and more, there’s something for everyone at the ROM.
- For gamers, the Toronto Game Society offers regular meetups and events. It’s a great way to meet other local gamers and get your fix of gaming culture.
- Comic Book Lounge & Gallery is perfect for comic book fans. In addition to being a great place to buy comics, they also host regular events like book signings and artist meet-and-greets.
- If you’re into anime, Manga Café is the place for you. They have a huge selection of manga books available to read, plus they offer free Wi-Fi so you can watch your favorite shows online while you’re there.
Top Books for Geeks
There are so many great books out there for geeks, it’s hard to know where to start. Here are just a few of our favourites:
“The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” by Douglas Adams: The quintessential geek book, this hilarious tale follows the misadventures of Arthur Dent as he tries to make sense of the bizarre universe he finds himself in.
“The Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R. Tolkien: Another classic geek book, this epic fantasy saga is sure to enthrall and transport you to another world.
“Ready Player One” by Ernest Cline: A modern geek classic, this novel is set in a virtual world and is full of references to ’80s pop culture.
“Neuromancer” by William Gibson: This groundbreaking cyberpunk novel introduced the world to the Matrix and has influenced countless other works of science fiction.
“Snow Crash” by Neal Stephenson: Another excellent cyberpunk novel, this one features a virtual reality world that is even more immersive and addictive than the real world.
Geek Entertainment Series in Toronto
There are plenty of geek entertainment series in Toronto that will make your nerd heart sing. From shows about video games and comics to movies and TV, there’s something for every type of geek.
If you’re a fan of video games, you’ll want to check out the Toronto Video Game Summit. This event is a two-day convention that celebrates all things gaming. You’ll be able to play new and upcoming games, meet industry professionals, and attend panels about your favourite games.
For comic book fans, the Toronto Comic Arts Festival is a must-attend event. This annual festival celebrates the medium of comics with over 700 creators in attendance. You can buy comics, meet your favourite creators, and attend workshops about making your own comics.
Movie buffs will want to check out TIFF, the Toronto International Film Festival. This world-renowned festival showcases the best in international cinema. You can see films from all over the world, meet filmmakers, and attend Q&A sessions with cast and crew members.
TV lovers will find plenty to love at Fan Expo Canada. This massive convention is dedicated to all things pop culture, with a special focus on television. You can meet your favourite TV stars, get autographs, and watch exclusive panel discussions about your favourite shows.